Software Systems Engineer
With AIRBUS in Portsmouth - GBMore jobs from AIRBUS
Posted on May 29, 2021
About this job
Job type: Full-time
Company size: 10k+ people
Company type: Private
system, architecture, uml, software-design
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2019 it generated revenues of € 70.5 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as one of the world’s leading space companies. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
We're looking for a Software Systems Engineer to join Airbus Defence and Space in Portsmouth. You will join our Network Management Systems group (NMS) and will report to the head of the group.
You will be an experienced software systems engineer with a good background in delivering software projects. Within our team, you will define the system solution for the software specific elements of a secure communication network management system, usually utilizing Satellite communication elements. The teams work in an agile environment following the SCRUM process.
Your main responsibilities will include:
Defining the architectural design in collaboration with the existing systems engineering team in order to deliver bids proposals or project definitions.
Contributing to system designs, including capturing the role of existing or COTS software products and ensuring these will become a working system.
Working with development teams to share the high-level architecture, ensuring the development team can then produce the required software components.
You will need to be eligible to gain UK SC Security Clearance.
Task & Accountabilities
- Defining the software system architecture at a high level, using the UML modelling language.
- On projects, working with the Product Owner to ensure capabilities are captured on the product backlog and aiding them to create the user stories and acceptance criteria.
- Working with peer-subsystem teams to ensure all external interfaces are defined and agreed.
- Getting involved in daily operations when needed to meet critical schedules or resolve complex problems.
- Collaborating with other projects to ensure the proposed software solution meets a common set of software requirements for all projects to seek re-usability.
- On Bids, working with the higher level system architects to ensure the NMS scope is understood, designing lean solutions in order to maximize win probability.
Your role will involve occasional UK and European travel for business.
Required Skills and Experience
- Experience of software solutions within a software product environment.
- Experience in (UML) modelling to capture the system design.
Our Offer To You
In return we can offer a competitive salary with annual profit share; an ever growing list of company benefits including enhanced pay for maternity, paternity, adoption and shared parental leave and very strong, very real strong career development options across our transnational, market leading company.
Many of our staff work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
Please let us know if you need us to make any reasonable adjustments for the selection process – you can share this with the Recruitment Business Partner who gets in touch if you are invited to interview. Examples of this may include (but is not exclusive to) accessible facilities; auxiliary aids; room layout etc. Any information disclosed will be treated in the strictest confidence.#LI-AS1
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.