Senior Software Engineer / Cloud Enterprise Data Platform
With JPMorgan Chase & Co. in Columbus OH USMore jobs from JPMorgan Chase & Co.
Posted on July 26, 2021
About this job
Job type: Full-time
Industry: Financial Services
Company size: 10k+ people
Company type: Public
cloud, java, web-services
In our Software Engineering Group, we look for people who are passionate around solving business problems through innovation and engineering practices.
As a member of our Software Engineering Group, we look first and foremost for people who are passionate around solving business problems through innovation and engineering practices. You'll be required to apply your depth of knowledge and expertise to all aspects of the software development lifecycle, as well as partner continuously with your many stakeholders on a daily basis to stay focused on common goals. We embrace a culture of experimentation and constantly strive for improvement and learning. You'll work in a collaborative, trusting, thought-provoking environment-one that encourages diversity of thought and creative solutions that are in the best interests of our customers globally.
Enterprise Data Platform are a team responsible for architecting, designing and implementing a new, cutting edge, cloud data platform for transforming our business applications into scalable, elastic systems that can be instantiated on demand, on cloud.
The role calls for the engineer to design, develop, configure, test, debug and document all layers of the Cloud stack to satisfy the new big data system requirements. This is expected to range from Cloud hosting platform to the design and implementation of higher-level services such as the IaaS, PaaS and SaaS layers, big data platform and services. The focus of this role is on the product and service for cloud big data platform.
The ideal candidate should be comfortable being directly involved with the design, development, testing, and operation of the solutions that will be composed into the Cloud Services environment. Once implemented, the candidate will typically be expected to provide some higher-level production and technical support in the case of a serious outage. They will also provide comprehensive consultation to business unit and IT management and staff at the highest technical level. They will work closely with Cloud Services management to identify and specify complex business requirements and processes that drive the platform roadmap. Additionally, they will research and evaluate alternative solutions and make recommendations for changes that would enhance the platform.
* Work as part of the team to ensure appropriate business measures are defined and documented
* Create cloud and big data technical design recommendations for developing and integrating new software and system technologies - from the physical layer through to the virtual layer - per written specifications; test, evaluate, engineer, implement and support said technologies
* Evaluate service level issues and suggested enhancements escalated by support to diagnose and address underlying system problems and inefficiencies - engage third party suppliers on support issues as required
* Review and influence new and evolving design, architecture, standard, and methods for operating services and systems
* Respond to and resolve emergent service problems; build tools and automation to prevent problem recurrence
* Participate in software and system performance analysis and tuning, service capacity planning and demand forecasting
* Drive technical innovation and efficiency in infrastructure operations via automation - for example automated server build processes
* Create processes that enhance operational workflow and provide positive customer impact
* Design systems management solutions using automation and self-repair rather than relying on alarming and human intervention
* Avoid re-inventing the wheel and prefer appropriately simple, repeatable solutions over more complex and failure prone ones
* Develop tools and utilities to provide short term solutions to immediate needs as required
This role requires a wide variety of strengths and capabilities, including:
* BS/BA degree or equivalent experience
* 8 to 12 years of experience in systems engineering and development
* Proficiency in one or more modern programming languages (Java/Scala/Python)
* Hands-on experience in Core Java, Spring Boot and Microservices
* Experience with Cloud technologies (AWS, GCP, Azure) - development and management of services (certifications are preferred)
* Experience with systems analysis and designing platform capabilities, data formats and data flows
* Experience with relational databases like Oracle, MySQL and similar
* Experience with automated and performance testing methodologies (Cucumber, Junit)
* Experience with DevOps in the context of application development
* Advanced knowledge of application, data, and infrastructure architecture disciplines
* Knowledge of industry-wide technology trends and best practices
* Ability to work in large, collaborative teams to achieve organizational goals
* Understanding of software skills such as business analysis, development, maintenance, and software improvement
* Passionate about building an innovative culture
* Strong Programming skills - needs to be able to code, leverage APIs, and understand security, authentication and data structures
* Data expertise - Databases, Messaging (Kafka), Streaming, Caching, Big Data solutions (Spark, HDFS, Hive, Impala)
* Experience with optimizing data for extraction analysis and/or visualization
JPMorgan Chase & Co., one of the oldest financial institutions, offers innovative financial solutions to millions of consumers, small businesses and many of the world's most prominent corporate, institutional and government clients under the J.P. Morgan and Chase brands. Our history spans over 200 years and today we are a leader in investment banking, consumer and small business banking, commercial banking, financial transaction processing and asset management.
We recognize that our people are our strength and the diverse talents they bring to our global workforce are directly linked to our success. We are an equal opportunity employer and place a high value on diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute, including race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital or veteran status, pregnancy or disability, or any other basis protected under applicable law. In accordance with applicable law, we make reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as any mental health or physical disability needs.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veterans