Principal Observability Engineer (SRE)
With JPMorgan Chase & Co. in Chicago IL USMore jobs from JPMorgan Chase & Co.
Posted on November 25, 2021
About this job
Job type: Full-time
Role: System Administrator
Industry: Financial Services
Company size: 10k+ people
Company type: Public
As part of the centralized Corporate and Investment Bank Reliability Engineering Enablement team you'll empower Site Reliability Engineering and Software Engineering teams to proactively optimize performance, resolve issues quickly, prevent issue reoccurrence, and measure achievement against business outcomes.
As a Principal Observability Engineer you'll be working collaboratively across all business lines to create a fully integrated, highly opinionated, consistent, and customer-driven observability and telemetry ecosystem, based upon industry leading, CNCF technologies. You'll be embedding telemetry and observability into our core platforms and products, enabling SREs and engineers to focus upon delivery and availability of our most critical services. You'll be providing hands-on engineering expertise to drive solution formation, delivery, and adoption, supporting our modern engineering teams as they migrate solutions to both public and private cloud.
As a member of our central Reliability Engineering Enablement team, you'll join a group of curious problem solvers with a diverse set of perspectives who are thinking big and taking risks. In this environment, you'll take the lead on relevant projects, backed by an organization that provides the support and mentorship you need to learn and grow.
* Lead design of build, refactor major software components that improve the availability, resilience, performance of our systems.
* Define strategic tooling direction for all of the Corporate Investment Bank iteratively via a combination of product evaluations, engineering-focused research and development, prototypes, and proof of concepts
* Partner closely with product stakeholders to continuously improve and evolve product offerings based upon direct customer feedback and experience
* Identify and implement application patterns in support of better service level objectives
* Design and implement self-healing, resiliency patterns
* Exercise failure cases regularly to validate resilience assumptions
* Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in an software engineering discipline
* 5+ years of SRE or System engineering experience, with leadership roles.
* Significant experience building and/or configuring metrics, distributed tracing, and logging systems, preferably using CNCF technologies and standards
* Experience in cloud native, distributed application design and implementation
* Proficiency in one or more technology domains, may be a cross-domain expert able to solve complex and mission critical problems within a business or across the firm
* Strong communication skill and ownership
Excellent debugging and trouble shooting skills
JPMorgan Chase & Co., one of the oldest financial institutions, offers innovative financial solutions to millions of consumers, small businesses and many of the world's most prominent corporate, institutional and government clients under the J.P. Morgan and Chase brands. Our history spans over 200 years and today we are a leader in investment banking, consumer and small business banking, commercial banking, financial transaction processing and asset management.
We recognize that our people are our strength and the diverse talents they bring to our global workforce are directly linked to our success. We are an equal opportunity employer and place a high value on diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute, including race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital or veteran status, pregnancy or disability, or any other basis protected under applicable law. In accordance with applicable law, we make reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as any mental health or physical disability needs.
The health and safety of our colleagues, candidates, clients and communities has been a top priority in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. JPMorgan Chase was awarded the "WELL Health-Safety Rating" for all of our 6,200 locations globally based on our operational policies, maintenance protocols, stakeholder engagement and emergency plans to address a post-COVID-19 environment.
As a part of our commitment to health and safety, we have implemented various COVID-related health and safety requirements for our workforce. These requirements may include sharing information in the firm's vaccine record tool, vaccination or regular testing, mask wearing, social distancing and daily health checks. Requirements may change in the future with the evolving public health landscape. JPMorgan Chase will consider accommodation requests.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veterans